If you are an Asian, you would probably have an old relationship with oiling hair. A nostalgic memory of seeing our grandmothers, mothers and aunties having followed this tradition. But do they work? Well when nothing works, hair oil came into the rescue for me. Let’s admit it! Caring for your hair is a bigger task than even recalling the number of lipsticks you own.
Now, this might differ for some but oils literally saved my hair from all the chemical and heat damage.
1. HELPS SOFTEN CURLS Curly hair when dry, becomes frizzy and hard to manage. Oils help to seal the cuticles and moisture in. Regular oiling, can help manage the frizz and give you soft curls.
2. REDUCES HAIR FALL Hair oil massage once a week helps to stimulate blood flow, moisturises your scalp. This significantly reduces hair fall. However, for some ladies hair oils are a total No! No! They might have an oily scalp, sensitivity to certain oils, or many other different reasons. Therefore, they experience hair fall, frizz, excessively oily hair instead. In this case, discontinue it and do what works for you.
3. PREVENT DRY SCALP/DANDRUFF Dry scalp / dandruff is attracted to an overly dry and sweaty scalp. Applying oil can help prevent dead skin cell build up.
4. PREVENTS BACTERIAL INFECTION Most hair oils have antibacterial properties; these oils when applied on the scalp can help prevent bacterial infections.
SEALING OIL AND MOISTURISING OIL
SEALING OIL: They just seal in moisture. You need to provide moisture to your hair before applying these oils and they do not penetrate into the hair shaft. They lock in moisture and block humidity. Lighter oils like argan oil or jojoba oil work best as sealing oils.
MOISTURISING OIL: These oils can actually provide nourishment to your hair by penetrating into the hair shaft. Coconut oil, Castor oil and avocado oil. The main fatty acids in these oils are really small, thus making penetration easy. These are usually the heavier oils
1. APPLY ON SCALP & HAIR END
You should target your scalp and hair ends. Using your fingertips, massage the oils into your scalp.
Follow up with clarifying wash that week. This is important as you don't want greasy hair or clogged pores .
3. APPLY WHAT YOUR HAIR NEEDS
More oil does not mean added benefits.
4. APPLY HEAT
You can heat up oil or use a heat cap. Whether it adds up to the benefit or not. It definitely helps you relax.
5. DON'T SLEEP ON IT
Now this is from my own personal experience so it might differ for you. I have sensitive skin and this usually causes me breakouts on my face.
Some of my favourite oil that work on my hair are Jamaican Black Castor oil, Alternanthera sessilis(Ponnanganni in tamil) oil, Coconut oil , Jojoba oil, Argan oil , Almond oil
What is you favourite oil and how do you use them? Do they benefit you or you stay away from oil?
Share your experience with us on the comment box below.
Co Founder @Maneheavensg